Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Access list more than once

Options
Tina Slaton
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I'm in the home building business after I walk a house I make punch list for multiple subs to complete items that pertain to their trade.  I have been sending "Send Update Request" to each sub.  Some subs might have 10+ items.....they can't remember every item on the first time opened and would like to be able to refer back to the list on as needed basis. Any recommendations on a way to send the list so they can access more than once to update?

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Tina

you have a couple of choices here, send the Update requests out repeatedly until they have completed them, see graphic. Or / as well as create a Report for each contractor View only and schedule that to go our Daily/ weekly with their To Do List. 

All depends which method will suit you best? 

Good luck RichardR 

Update repeats.JPG

• Tina Slaton
    Options

Thanks Richard.  If I set the sheet to be emailed out weekly will it no longer email if the sub completes their list or will it keep emailing for the duration I set?  If I send a link to the page, will they be able to access multiple times and update?

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Options

hi Tina 

The challenge appears when the receiver can only part answer the questions posed and when they Click submit, they are locked out, because the link is one time coded. So when they come back with the rest of the answer, they need a fresh update code, which they would access via the next send, because it is going out regularly until resolved or timed out. 

The logic is that as soon as the Update has been completed, you need to delete the request. 

I havent tested to see if the repeat sends stop once the update is completed but i would doubt it, because how would it know YOU are satidfied with the answer given? Only you would know that. Hope that helps? RichardR

• Tina Slaton
    Options

OK, thanks for your help.  Do you know the reason behind why SS only allows a "one time only" access to a request?  Would be a lot more useful if it could be accessed as many times as needed.   Thanks again! Smile

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Options

Tina

Believe me it is a good idea to have one time access in most cases and makes sure you dont inadvertently leave your back door open to people who you would only want to have restricted access to your data. it means you gave to go to some effort to repeat it, which is good. 

I have to say that 99% of the time if you think through the logic behind Smartsheet functionality, most of the time you end up agreeing with them! but lets not give them big heads! 

Regards Richardr

This discussion has been closed.