Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Discussions: Email a Comment

Smartsheet,

In the Discussion feature, I find myself needing to write a comment - then click SAVE - then click on the "Email Comment" button - then fill out the person's (or people's) names in the discussion and then click send to get the comment out to the Team.

Is there a way - OR can you add a feature - that allows me to automatically send the comment to those shared users that are already part of a particular discussion?

If this is a new feature, then after I write my comment and before I click save - there would be an option to check boxes (or something) and when I click save, that action stores the comment and sends the email, to the proper people, without having to do anything else.

Thanks!

Comments

• Tim McCarthy
    Tim McCarthy ✭✭✭✭✭

Gregory - I don't see what you are doing. When in a discussion, I just write my comment and click on "Submit" (sometimes "Save") which posts to the discussion.

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Gregory,

There is a way to do that: 

Go to Alerts (bottom of page), then create a new Notification and set the criteria as follows

)

Atus

notif_sharedusers.JPG

• Tim McCarthy
    Tim McCarthy ✭✭✭✭✭

Gregory - I misunderstood. I see from Atus' comment that you meant in the discussion feature of the smartsheet. 

• @Tim and @Atus,

Thanks for commenting.

Atus' suggestion is in the proper direction, but not exactly what I want.

I do not want to notify all Shared Users ... just those that have commented within a Discussion.

And I agree with Atus' comment that "I don't think it will be loved after a while, though."

So - to clarify ... if my sheet has 40 Shared Users and three specific Users are commenting about one specific Discussion, then when I add my comment to that Discussion and Save, I would like to have the choice to email that comment to those three Users with a "checkboxes-prior-to-save-feature" and NOT have to Save, then click email, then add those three Users' emails and then click Send.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 04/29/16

Gregory, at the moment the only way to be notified of new discussions is through the Notifications feature but I'll submit your request to our Product team! 

• Thanks Travis.

We are in the process of using Smartsheet across many projects here at Berkeley Lab and our plan is run all project communication thru the discussion feature - therefore, having a more efficient method to notify folks within a discussion will be essential.

We are finding that email communication is becoming more and more challenging to use as a tracking tool for a project and the back-n-forths that occur through out its duration.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/01/16

Here's my take.

Add the ability to send notifications to GROUPS in addition to individuals (by name, Contact List column, or shares)

Then Atus' post is changed from "Shared Users" to Group A.

In general, I think the Group feature is under utilized.

For email, it is a very bad way to collaborate. I'm sad that Smartsheet sends me emails, but it is better than the alternative.

Craig

• Lachlan Stead
    Lachlan Stead ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any way of sending all comments if they aren't in a thread?

• Lachlan Stead
    Lachlan Stead ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, answered my own question ...!

This discussion has been closed.