Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How to write a formula to sum up child values into Parent row?

Sean B
Sean B
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

How can I write a formula that sums up all the effort (hrs) into the parent row for which those tasks are under? 

Tags:

Comments

• Steven Edwards
    Steven Edwards ✭✭✭
    edited 05/16/16

Hi Sean,

Is the total not automatically displayed in the parent row?

For example in my project plans I add the duration a specific child task will take and Smartsheet displays the total in the parent row, the parent figure cannot be changed as it is a summary.

Thanks

Steve

• It does this automatically for standard/default columns that were already created by default such as duration. But I would like to extend this to a new column that I added say "Work/Effort (hrs)" for which I want to have the hours for 'child' rows to sum up to the parent row summary task.

• Hi Sean,

If your Work/Effort column is just a text/number type and the hours are numerical i.e "5" not "5hr" then you can use the formular =SUM(CHILDREN()) on the parent row to add together all the hours in the children rows.

Thanks

Steve

• Hello Steven, 

I was just wondering, what if you want the Children of a Parent Sum'ed up or Counted elsewhere? Like lets say in a summary type thing?

Kind Regards

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ichiorochi, just add the cell reference of the parent you want to base you calculations on. Like this if you want to SUM the children of cell1 

=SUM(CHILDREN(Cell1)) 

This discussion has been closed.