Formula to copy the information of one cell into a different cell

Is it possible to use a formula to copy the information of one cell ( In this case the cell is under a date type column) to another cell (also a date type column) . For example, if my cell #1 under column "concept start date" is: 06/19/19 then automatically my cell #1 under column "Start" would automatically fill up as 06/19/19. This is all taking place in one same sheet, maybe there is a different type of solution. 

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Have you tried cell-linking?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Here is a picture of what it looks like. Cell linking doesn't give me the option of linking from the same sheet. 

Capture.JPG

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/17/19

Try this.

In the Start cell on row 3.

=[Concept Start Date]1

You can also type = and then click on the cell you want to show in the cell.

Did it work?

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• It didn't, I think it doesn't take it as a formula because after typing the formula and pressing enter, the cell shows what I had just typed(picture1) and when I double click on the cell it added a symbol before the = sign( picture2)

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• I also forgot to mention that the "start" column is linked with the dependency settings. 

Capture4.JPG

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that's what I suspected, but I got confused and mixed the columns up.

Sorry about that!

Best,

Andrée

• HI Andree, so what is the solution for this please. need to do the same like copy a date from one date cell to an other date cell and it doesn't work - very frustrating . also even the todays() date doesnt work

thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Constantin Hapau

I hope you're well and safe!

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed.

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!