SmartSheet backup including formulas

HL
HL
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on the forum. Pardon me if this has been addressed. 

Is there a way to backup SmartSheet plans and preserve the formula? I've created a bunch of formula for all project plans and it would be impossible for me to remember every formula should I need to restore it from backup. So far, I've been doing regular / scheduled backup of my workspace and when i tried to import it from one of the backup, i'm not seeing the formula. 

Please let me know if there is a way to preserve the formula. Thanks!

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few workarounds, but none of them are as straight forward as what you are looking for. It is a good idea though. Feel free to submit a product enhancement request HERE.

In the meantime... Here are a few ideas:

You can add a column that can then be hidden after the initial setup. In this column you could enter each of the formulas (adding a second column to type in a location of where it goes isn't a bad idea either) and then either remove the equals sign at the beginning or adding some character that isn't used in any of your formulas to before the equals sign.

Once that is done, the backup will have the text of the formulas displayed. From there you can (depending on which method you used) either add the equals sign back in or use a find/replace to remove the unique character to have them as working formulas.

Another idea would be very similar except saving the sheet as new then removing all of the equals signs or adding a character to the beginning to display the text and have the backup run on that sheet.