Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automatic Timeline Changes

Jon Gallez
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hello! Newbie here to Smartsheet. I am working on a project that requires a timeline of multiple items with deadlines that are dependent one each other (i.e. can't start phase 2 without completing phase 1). 

What formatting can I use to automatically push back phase 2 and 3 if phase 1 end date or start date changes?

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/13/16

Jon,

I guess you just need to enable dependencies in Project Settings, as it's well described in this article:

http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/765727

Once enabled, you can create dependency relationships between tasks using the Predecessors column. 

If phases in your sheet have sub-tasks, please note that dependencies can be set only between individual tasks (not between parent rows). 

If you need more help, please let me know.

Atus

• Jon Gallez
    edited 06/13/16

Atus,

Dependency is enabled on my sheet. Still can't get the dates to automatically changed for Task 2 and 3 when changing 1. I also cannot find the edit predecessors portion either in the application. Would this have anything to do with the free trial verison?

Thanks!

Jon

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/13/16

No, it should work even in trial versions. 

Isn't this following situation the case?

NOTE: If a parent row has a Predecessor value listed, this dependency relationship will drive the Start dates for each child row making them un-editable. Deleting the Predecessor value on the Parent Row will remove this constraint and allow you to manipulate the child row dates individually.

(from http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/765737)

The "Edit predecessors" icon is on the right in any pred. cell (little pencil). 

Atus

predecessors.JPG

This discussion has been closed.