Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automate a cell to clear

Jen P
Jen P
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi!

I am creating a database for researchers to borrow equipment. We want as much of it to be automated as possible. 

When an item is marked as 'returned', a green RYG ball shows up in the availability column. I would like other cells to clear automatically in the row when the green ball activates. How can I write a formula so that the name and email of the researcher who returned the item is cleared from the cells? 

Thanks!

Jen

Comments

• Hi Jen,

Since the name and email of your researcher borrowing the equipment will be manually entered (not via formula), there's not a way to have those cells cleared based on a formula. 

However, you could turn the text white (or change the background color of a cell or apply some other formatting) when the RYG ball changes status. For instructions on conditional formatting like this, check out the Help Center here: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/516359.

Let me know if you have any questions on this!

Kate

• Hi!

That is so helpful thanks! I thought about automating a strike-through when the item becomes available again- at least that way the next person knows that he/she can just erase the name and replace it with their own. 

Thanks again :)

Jen

• Hi!

That is so helpful thanks! I thought about automating a strike-through when the item becomes available again- at least that way the next person knows that he/she can just erase the name and replace it with their own. 

Thanks again :)

Jen

This discussion has been closed.