Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Adding the sum of a range of cells using the IF function

Laurie Bearden
Laurie Bearden ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi!  I wonder if someone can help me.  I have a range of cells using the IF function.  I'd like to calculate that range using the SUM function in another cell, but it just comes back with the total as "0".  Is there a special formula that I need to use to complete this action? 

Thank you

Tags:

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/26/16

Laurie,

Most of the time the reason why 0 appears in a SUM cell is that the range covered contains text-type entries (even if they seem to be numbers). For instance "23" is a text, while 23 is a number - you may have quotation marks in those IF() formulas that are not supposed to be there. 

If it doesn't solve the problem, please give me an example of the IF() formulas you have.

Atus

• You could also try using the SUMIF function to eliminate the need to have a separate column for the IF results, but this might not be what you are looking for.

• Atus, thank you...that worked!  I had quotes around the numbers.  :) 

This discussion has been closed.