Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sharing more than I want

Options
Adam Felson
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

It appears that when I share my report everyone can see all of my other sheets.  How can I prevent this?  Thanks.

Comments

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only way I know to combat this is to create a seperate "Workspace" and store the report in this new area.  Each workspace has its own set of permissions, so you can be more restrictive on your current workspace and set the new workspace to include only those who you want to see the report.  

I assume this will fix your issue.  If not, perhaps you've stumbled onto a bigger Smartsheet issue.

• Adam Felson
    Options

Thanks but what if I want to have a single "Project Status Update" list to serve for just me to see as a dashboard to all my projects, yet have a single sheet for each project that only people involved with those projects can view?  Can that be done?

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Along the lines of what I mentioned, I'd assume you will need a unique workspace for every unique group of viewers.  So, you might have an Admin workspace that is only shared with yourself.  Your dashboard would live there.  Then, you'd have a unique workspace for every single project.  Each of these would be shared with only that particular project's team.  You'd keep all sheets for a particular project in that project's unique workspace.

• Adam Felson
    Options

Thank you.  I suppose I'm unclear how I can carry over every task from each shared project sheet to a single private sheet and have everything stay live and updated.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I guess I assumed your dashboard was going to be a report, rather than a sheet.  Smartsheet does have cell-linking capability across sheets, but that might not be a very elegant solution.  Before you go down that road, you might try to investigate using a report in your Admin workspace that pulls from the sheets in your project-specific workspaces.  A single report (like a query) can easily pull all sorts of data from many different sheets (data sources).

• LindseyC
    Options

It is possible to customize the viewing capiblities within a sheet in a shared workspace. When you click sharing in the workspace, all collaborators you add will have the same access to all sheets within that workspace. However, if you click on a specfic sheet in that workspace, then click sharing, you can add a collaborator with specific access to that sheet. Type in a contact, select the preference you would like for that contact and then select "share sheet" instead of "share workspace". Then that person will only have access the sheet you'd like. 

Is that what you were looking for? 

• Adam Felson
    Options

Thanks LindseyC!

This discussion has been closed.