Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Helpful if Date format has letters in it

Robert Poddar
Robert Poddar ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi, 

I am working on a project wherein a part of the development team in India and other part in the US. I initially had my Language (Country) setting as "English (India)", but this date format caused confusion for the team which are in the US, since it is based on dd/mm/yy whereas the US is used to mm/dd/yy. For example, 1st July 2016 in India is (01/07/16), whereas this is interpreted by the team in the US as 7th January 2016.

It will be helpful if you provide an option as 1-Jul-16 or Jul-1-16, so that this erases any confusion in the date being displayed.

thanks

Robert.  

Comments

• Hi Robert-- Thanks for this input! I've added your vote for this date format to our enhancement request list. Our developers will consider this for a future update. We appreciate your input!

• Hi Kennedy, 

Thanks for your feedback. Awaiting the release which will have this feature :).. 

thanks 

Robert. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can add an ISO-Date column and determine it yourself.

=YEAR(Date23) + IF(MONTH(Date23) < 10, "-0" + MONTH(Date23), "-" + MONTH(Date23)) + IF(DAY(Date23) < 10, "-0" + DAY(Date23), "-" + DAY(Date23))

for row 23.

unfortunately, this is text only - just remember to feed your project dates and Alerts off the actual date column.

You could expand if MONTH() to provide the text for the month, of course.

Depending on how many rows you have, you may notice the performance slowing.

I hope this helps.

Craig

EDIT: ISO 8601: 

http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/iso8601.htm

YYYY-MM-DD

Craig

This discussion has been closed.