Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Formula to copy contents from one cell to another?

JLC
JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi there, is there a formula that can copy/mirror the contents of one cell into another? We need this for Update Request purposes - we have two types or requests we need to send to a business partner, both with some overlapping and unique column needs. For example:

Update Request type 1 - fields to check off:

·         comments

·         shared drive path

·         release date

·         footer date

·         en title

·         fr title

·         content creator

Update Request type 2 - fields to check off:

·         comments

·         shared drive path

·         date links required

·         release date

·         en title

·         en abstract

·         fr title

·         fr abstract

·         portal view

·         account security

·         posting location

·         hidden

·         expiry

·         content creator

Unfortunately our business partner needs these columns to be in this specific order or else we would compile the overlapping columns together. So, the thought was to create one section of our sheet with the Update Request 1 columns together, and the other section has the Update Request 2 columns together (mirrored for the columns that have the same information). This way, when we send an update request all of the checked parts are together for ease of use.

Hoping this makes sense and that someone can help with a formula OR perhaps a different way of solving this problem. Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Comments

• Greg Gates
    Greg Gates ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not 100% sure I understand your issue, but I think it might be easiest to separate your two kinds of Update Requests into two completely separate sheets. Then, use cell linking (https://www.smartsheet.com/cell-linking) to pull in the duplicated values from Update Request 1 into Update Request 2 (or vice versa). I think that would take care of your issue where you only want to request a specific set of columns, since each request only knows about its own columns to begin with.

I hope that helps! If I misunderstood your problem, definitely let me know and we can keep trying to brainstorm a solution!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jaye,

Is this a recurring request?

If so, it looks like while the columns don't match, the ones that do are in the same order.

That means you could have one request for type 1 and one for type 2 without rearranging the order of your columns.

Here's a kludge if that works:

1. set the two requests to yearly.

2. when you need to send them, change them to yearly but with a date and time so they go out soon. 

Better would be the following feature request:

Allow completed update requests to be resent/restored

then you could send today and when you want to resend it, just reactivate it.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.