Index Match Values Based on Certain Parent Rows

xwallace
xwallace
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

First, awesome community! I've been looking all over for a solution to my problem, but cannot find anything that would translate to my situation. Hopefully I make some sort of sense describing my issue.

Brief:

I work for a construction company that specializes in high rise construction. For my department, I'm tracking progress and costs broken down by Project, Floor, and Scope of work, i.e (Project A > 1st Floor > Concrete >...) and would like to pull values specific to floor and scope.

I started with a basic Index formula, but can't figure how to make the match function work within those parameters --Maybe I need to use a different approach?

=INDEX({UID1}, MATCH(Type2, {TASK1}, 0)) * Quantity2

This brings the value that I need, but this would force me to tweak and monitor each entry due to the varying amount of Floors and Tasks we perform; I would like a formula that would be able to return the red values in the screen shot based upon matching the Type (A,B, or C) with an identified Task and/or Group.

I hope this makes some type of sense, been racking my brain all weekend lol.

Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 10.31.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 10.55.48 AM.png

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So you are trying to pull from the first screenshot based on the Group, Task, and Type in the second screenshot?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Hey Paul, yes! That’s exactly what I’m going for!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok. My first suggestion is to add the word "Task" in your second sheet in the Task column. That way we can have some consistency with the data.

You could then add a helper column to both sheets. I'll call it "Helper" for this example.

In the first sheet you would use 

=JOIN(ANCESTORS(ID@row), ";")

In the second sheet, it would be 

=JOIN(Group@row:Type@row, ";")

This will give you matching data on both sheets that we can use to match against.

=INDEX({First Sheet UID1 Column}, MATCH(Helper@row, {First Sheet Helper Column}, 0)) * Quantity@row

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!