Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Check box - how to auto record user details once selected

Brett Hill
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi Guys,

I am using a checkbox to indicate when a particular task has been completed, but i need it to automatically record the user who changed it and when this occured. Can anyone help me with this, or suggest another way to make this work.

Thanks in advance,

Brett

Comments

• If they are a shared user this would be recorded in the sheet automatically with the system fields as "modified by" and "modified date".  If these are not columns in your sheet you will need to add them.  I hope that helps!

• Hi Brett-- Tony is correct in that you can collect data in a Modified By or Modified Date column, but keep in mind that this will update when *any* changes are made to a row, not just changes to specific columns. Let me know if this won't work for you and we might be able to brainstorm some other solutions. 

• Brett Hill
    edited 08/23/16

thanks Guys, i have used the right click option on the individual cell and View history to get the desired result. I dont need to display this on the sheet, but it will allow me to see who changed a particular cell.

• Brett: you can still use the Modified By and Modifed Date and make them hidden columns.  That way when you want to see who modified it and when in detail, simply unhide all columns and then hide them again when you're done.

This discussion has been closed.