Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Calendar View Tasks and Sub-Tasks

Gary Westwood
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi there,

If this has been asked and answered repeatedly in the past, apologies to all.

I have created a Gantt chart and now am looking at the same information in Calendar view.  In calendar view, the tasks are all listed at the top, and sub-tasks are listed at the bottom.  I think it would make more sense if the sub-tasks were nested below each primary task, rather than all subtasks listed together.  Am I just looking at this wrong?  Or is there a toggle switch or something that would accomplish that?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A similar issue has been discovered on one of our sheets. We have several parent rows with only a couple children below each. In the calendar view the first parent row is at the top, then another parent row followed by its child, and then the child of the first parent row. 

We hoped that it would show parent/child succession in the calendar view.

• Loann, when you say that this has been discovered, do you mean that it wasn't doing this before?  Is this some new technical glitch or an old bug?  The more I think about it, I don't see how what is happening could possibly have been the intent.  Anyone from Smartsheet want to weigh in?

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Apologies - it may have been doing it, but I was unaware as I'm not the main user of this particular sheet.

But the Gantt view is definitely separating some of the children from their parent.

Blessings,
    Loann

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 06/29/15

Hi Gary, this is by design (it’s not a bug) and isn’t a toggle to change the behavior but I will submit your feedback to our product team. Thank you! 

• Hi Travis,

I know that what I would want might not be what everyone would want...but what is the logic behind showing all the parents together then showing all the children?  How would you be able to tell which child belongs to which parent in calendar view?  So for example, I couldn't have a child named 'client meeting', because that is too generic, although if it was nested directly below the appropriate parent, then I could use a generic name.  Why would anyone want it any other way?  Just askin'...

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting - a different sheet I recently created has parent/child rows. In my calendar view of this sheet it is showing the children under the parent it belongs to, which seems to not be the case in my other sheet. Hmmm...

• Yes!  That's exactly what I would have predicted.  Not sure why it would be any other way.  If you had another sheet that is behaving how mine is behaving, then it really does start to smell like a bug to me...

This discussion has been closed.