Changing a symbol field based on status of another field

James P Garcia
James P Garcia ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I am trying to figure out if it is possible, which I believe it is with the correct formula, to trigger a symbol in a field based on the status of another field.

There are two columns- the Property Status column is a drop down but when technical issues is the selection I want the TS column to populate with a low symbol.

Here is the formula I was trying to use and it comes up with a #unparseable error message:

=IF[Property Status]1= "Technical Issues", low

Two_Columns.png

Comments

• SYSPK
    SYSPK ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What is a "low" symbol? When I look at the list of possible symbols, I don't see "low" but I see other things like "up," "down," "red", "yes," etc... What you're using in your IF formula must be a real name that the sheet recognizes as a symbol. You can see what the names are if you open the properties on your "TS" column and hover your mouse over the different symbols.  Once you have the right name, it'll need to be in quotation marks. So it may look like:

=IF([Property Status]1= "Technical Issues", "down")

*only works if the set of symbols you choose has in it the option of "down."

And don't forget parentheses after the "IF."

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 9.25.28 AM.png

• Thank you very much for the feedback, let me try changing to down I was thinking it was low because of the export of data I did. Here is the symbol I was referencing and when I hover over it as recommended it says down. 

low.png

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/03/19

It is one of the Priority sets. You cannot base it off of what the description is when selecting the symbol set because those only describe the images. They do not always provide the exact text string needed to leverage them in formulas. To see the correct text to use, select the option then use the dropdown. It will show the appropriate text next to each symbol (see screenshot).

Here is what should work if your text required is in fact "Low".

=IF([Property Status]@row= "Technical Issues", "Low")

The two issues with the formula provided in the original post would be that there were no opening or closing parenthesis for the IF function, and low was not in quotes.

Comm1.PNG

• Thanks again, your feedback was helpful and I got it figured out with your help.

• What would the equation be if there were multiple colors representing status (Complete, In Progress, Not Started, At Risk). I tried the following and it says unparseable:

=IF([Status New]@row = "Complete", "Green"),IF([Status New]@row ="In Progress", "Blue"),IF([Status New]@row ="Not Started", "Red")I(Status New]@row ="At Risk", "Orange")