Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Gantt Chart Zoom

Options
2»

Comments

• JD-antares
    Options

Wow, three YEARS and no progress? What is the plan, people?

• Almost 2019 and there's still no fix for this issue.

no

• JavierSN
    JavierSN
    edited 01/07/19
    Options

I believe Smartsheet is underestimating the importance of this issue. It's practically impossible to have a presentable (fitting on a page or slide) Gantt chart with the current zoom levels. This means I can't paste my Smartsheet charts in proposals or presentations.

This is actually the only limitation that keeps me from using Smartsheet for customer-facing project management. Seems like a small change with a huge impact!

• RossRuff
    Options

Smartsheet,

Your tools and solutions are very helpful. I agree with all of the previous comments that this Gantt Chart feature is a critical one worth fixing as it's likely to be a huge deterrent for companies who desire to leverage your software for each step in the project management process.

First in that process is writing proposals and a Gantt chart is often required alongside a work breakdown on proposals with the Federal Government and large prime contractors. Truthfully, it's a visualization that can be helpful in any number of proposals and it's one we like to see when we're hiring subcontractors. It's a simple reference graphic that can help streamline project management company-wide.

Furthermore, when tracking, reporting, and summarizing a work effort the Gantt chart continues to be useful as a marker of progress and success. However, when it is difficult to read all of these benefits are lost. Your users have spoken and I assure you there are many more potential clients out there who would struggle to prefer this as a tool without a more custom zoom feature on your Gantt chart view. 

Gantt charts are notorious for being a manual process thrown together at the end of a proposal, work breakdown, or project management/reporting effort. So far you've done a great job at making this easier - please cross the finish line and help us leverage these Gantt Charts to our full advantage!

Sincerely,

Potential customer

Attached are photos of the disparity between the only two zoom levels that are close, neither of which are very legible or fit neatly within the constraints of normal paper sizes especially when pasted among text in portrait orientation. 

VADER Work Breakdown (1).png

VADER Work Breakdown.png

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Ross,

If you haven't already, Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

A New Way to Submit Your Feature Requests

To make your Enhancement / Feature Request count, send in the form above because there isn’t a guarantee, it will be registered otherwise.

Original Post: https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/new-way-submit-your-feature-requests

Would it help to export the information to create a Gantt Chart in another solution? (For proposals, presentations and similar.)

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jules Petitjean
    Options

+1 for more versatile zoomability in Gantt charts.  I shouldn't need to create a second chart in MS Project or Excel to achieve this functionality.  

• TPFS
    Options

+ 1 on this. 

Can't believe this was flagged over 4 years ago and still unaddressed. It seems a BASIC requirement of user interface. 

Current zoom levels make it impossible to visualize projects in a coherent way. We need a slider.  

This discussion has been closed.