Saving Outlook emails to attachments

Options
jcepon
jcepon ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Wonderful that we can now save Outlook emails to attachments the only problem is that now it complete take the whole email and doesn't copy it so it completely removes it from outlook.  Is there a way to get it to only copy and paste and not remove from outlook?

Regards,

Jeanine Cepon-Geier

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jeanine,

That sounds weird!

As far as I know, it should not delete anything in Outlook.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• mschwahn
    mschwahn ✭✭✭
    Options

I am also having this problem and found it appears to be isolated to Google Chrome:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/drag-drop-emails-outlook-smartsheet-chrome-email-deleted-outlook

When dragging the email from my Outlook window to Smartsheet in Google Chrome it removes the file from my Outlook entirely and the email is gone.

I tested this in MS Edge and confirmed it does not happen when using Edge; the file copies and uploads to Smartsheet without deleting it from Outlook.

• Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    • Outlook 365 Business
    • Google Chrome

The steps:

1. Left-click and hold
    2. Drag to Chrome window with Smartsheet open
    3. Hover over row I want it attached to
    4. Let go of left mouse button
    5. Email file uploads to Smartsheet row but is now gone entirely from Outlook

The simplest way around this is to add the extra step of dragging to my desktop to make a copy then drag from my desktop to Smartsheet. The odd thing here is that it doesn't delete the file from the desktop when I drag it to Smartsheet, only when dragging directly from Outlook to Smartsheet.

If I accidentally drag-drop straight to Smartsheet I then have to download the file from Smartsheet, open the folder it downloaded to and drag it back to my Outlook so I still have the email file in my Outlook.

It's worth noting that this occurs with and without the Smartsheet Outlook add-in; I tested it both ways.

I, like many, do not use Edge as my browser and would like to see this fixed in Chrome.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

If you haven’t already, I would recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team. Smartsheet Support Team

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• mschwahn
    mschwahn ✭✭✭
    Options

On my forum thread we discovered that the email isn't being totally deleted but is being moved to the "Deleted Items" folder in Outlook.

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/drag-drop-emails-outlook-smartsheet-chrome-email-deleted-outlook

I have submitted a ticket to the Smartsheet Support Team at Andrée Starå's suggestion.

Ticket # 03593008

• Sarah Thompson
    Options

mschwahn,

Did they respond to you on your ticket? I'm having the same issue but it's happening sporadically. Sometimes it sends the email to my deleted folder, sometimes it stays put. Very strange!