Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

My - Smartsheet Wish List 2 - Unhide Specific olumns

JamesR
JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Currently you can hide columns individually.  However you have to Unhide all of them.

This is extremly frustrating when you only want to ammend one column.

This also causes the issue in trying to remember which ones were hidden and for what reason so that you can rehide them again.

If you agree Like it

Comments

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi JamesR,

as far as I understood this is already on the roadmap with "Saved filters", where one can save multiple filter views per sheet...

https://www.smartsheet.com/product-roadmap

Smartsheet - Saved filters.png

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/09/16

Dietrich,

It depends on what they mean by Saved Filters.

Generically Filtering in Smartsheet is filtering rows not columns.

Reports are in efect Filtered Rows and Columns and are Saved.

Being able to additional Filtering on  Reports would be good.

Many of the columns I am talking about contain Calculations, and you can create a report to show those hidden columns, however you cannot edit formulae in reports only data.  I use the Hidden columns tostore Values and Calculations that the User/Client does not need to see and can have up to20 to 30 Columns all hidden.  I try and make sure the majority are all at the end of the sheet but that is not always practical some will be intersperced within the data.

These columns need to be exposed for admendments and enhancements and then re hidden.

Additionally with Saved filters you need to take into account who can use, creat and save the filters.

James

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

James,

Your're absolutely right and I agree with all your arguments.

So let's hope for the best ;-)

Dietrich

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Dietrich,

The best did not happen unfortunatly.  Its as I expected, its the rows not the columns.

See custom Views in Excel to see it in action and they have been there almost since its conception.

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I did really hope, that the new filters would also have the ability to save the current layout (visible/hidden rows) in order to enable us to easily switch between different layouts...

Frown Sigh...

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had the same hope Dietrich

Craig

This discussion has been closed.