Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Where is the button of merge cells? Can we make some columns the same name?

Options
LONG
LONG
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Thanks for developing this app. This is a good point.

But I think we need some necessary function like excel. such as merge cells ...

And i find that i cannot name more than one columns with the same name?

When I try to import excel sheet, there even a limitation. I have to split my worksheet?

TakkLaughing

Comments

• Kennedy Stomps
    Options

Hi LONG-- To confirm, it isn't currently possible to merge cells in Smartsheet but I can add your vote for this to our enhancement request list.

Similarly, it isn't possible to have multiple columns with the same name in one sheet, as Smartsheet requires unique column names for functions like Conditional Formatting, Reporting, and formula cell references. This is not a feature we are planning to change so I would suggest differentiating columns with numbers if needed!

We currently have some limitations on maximum sheet sizes (Up to 5,000 rows and 200 columns, in any combination that does not exceed 200,000 total cells). As a cloud-based application, there are just technical limits to the amount of information we can load and save at one time. We suggest splitting large sheets up by project or by month/year, or some other logical division. Hope this helps!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't imagine that merge cells would be on the roadmap. The architecture does not seem to support features along this vein. 

I could see having a section header or footer, where the column rules do not apply, but having this allowed throughout a sheet, especiallly one of any significant size would be a computational quagmire.

If I wanted Excel in the Cloud, I'd put Excel in Dropbox and be done with it.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.