Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Auto sort new rows

Comments

• Hi Matthew,

I've got your vote down for continuous sorting on our enhancement request list for further consideration.

I wanted to mention that we don't have functionality for automatic sorts in sheets OR reports (I've added your vote for the feature to be in both). Although you may have reports that appear to be sorting for you, this is not functionality built into reporting and as such—you may have rows added to your reports in an unexpected order.

• Please add my vote to this! Badly needed! 

• Will Chaspuri
    edited 03/15/17

Add another vote to this

• Our company would very much apprechiate this feature. Auto sort column by date (ascending would be perfect in our case)

How much feedback and how many votes do you actually need to finally implement this?

Please fix!

• Please add a feature to apply sorting to both the sheet with-out applying a filter, and for each filter setting in Sheets and Reports that does not change the established hierarchy in the sheet.

I use 1 SmartSheet to manage an active project for which I report and communicate the project tasks that roll up to a Milestone and have owners, dates, and statuses. At the same time, there can be different users viewing and making updates to the project as needed. They can be using a filter to show only what is due immediately in a specific department or to a user; or a Report that is set up to show the tasks in a specific status such as "at risk" or "past due" across different sheets. Both should be able to apply a sort, and have updates from both users captured without the main hierarchy being disrupted.  

In excel, I have had many issues when sharing a worksheet with a user who is not excel savvy. They want to sort the column to see just what is of interest to them, not knowing a filter and formulas have been applied to a set of cells or table. The filter that they disrupt. The result is the re-ordering of the data that causes many issues to correct. 

• Justin Stewart
    edited 07/13/17

Add my vote...

But I will say I did find a more efficient workaround using the "Filters" view.

I created a Stage called "Newly Added". I then edited the Smartsheet Form linked to the Smartsheet spreadsheet. I had it automatically assign the "Newly Added" Stage label to all new Smartsheet Form submissions, by default.

I then created a filter called "Needs Attention". I edited the filter's condition to include Stages that were titled "Newly Added" (as well as a few other Stages our team prioritizes, such as "Awaiting Approval", "Partially Running", etc.). 

I live in this "Needs Attention" filter by default. When I want to view everything again (which is rare), I simply "hide" the filter by clicking the "funnel" icon in the upper left-hand corner of the Smartsheet spreadsheet.

When I want to return back to my previous "Newly Added" filter view or any other custom filter, I simply click the "funnel" icon and I'm right back where I was previously. 

Again, I'm all for having newly submitted forms move to the top rows of Smartsheet after a page refresh. But the filter views are way more powerful and may eliminate the urgency in waiting on this update.

You may find yourself rarely using the "default" filter again!

Cheers.

• Si Spence
    Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Any updates Shaine?

Please add my vote for continuous sorting please

• Hi Si,

There isn't an ETA on when we would see this feature in the app.

When you have a moment, submit a Product Enhancement Request (using the form under Quick links on the right of the community site) to make our Product team more aware of the demand.

• Jacob H.
    Jacob H. ✭✭✭✭

I am all for being able to save a sorting "scheme" and auto sort rows on sheets. I imagine this would be much like the filters that can be saved. I have sheets that have a specific purpose and need to be sorted in a certain way every time.  It would take out the tedious repetition of apply the 3 levels of sorting every time a row is added.

• Jim Schaffhausen
    Jim Schaffhausen ✭✭✭✭

Wow - please add my vote. My team is utterly depressed that the task reports are not useful and reports are not able to list their tasks due in ascending order by date. 

Any update on this?

• Why can't one auto sort rows??!!! This should at least be a basic function...Please add my vote for this feature update ASAP...

• Please add this feature. This is 2018.

Thank you.

• this thread has been going since Sep-16. Is there anyway to get a sort function done in Smartsheet already?  Would benefit alot of people in my org that are using this tool

• Hewilky
    Hewilky
    edited 03/10/18

Absolutely a must. If one uses it to monitor progress of executed tasks, this is imperative. Time line provides a horizontal progression of your tasks, but an auto sort will enable to have it also in list format (vertical progression based on the criteria you chose to sort).

It can be quite time consuming to be clicking on the sort icon every time. To make matters worse, SS does not save the filter criteria used last time, so you have to remember/guess/figure which fields were chosen and the criteria (ascending or descending). 

Enhancement request already made a long ago, with a lot of reactions. It is a clear limitation of the tool. Is there any need for further feedback to move it to new releases, or at least to come to the forum to comment and provide an estimation?

This discussion has been closed.