COUNTIF in Sheet Summary

Donni MatthewDonni Matthew ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions
10/31/19 Edited 12/09/19

I am using this simple formula in a new field in Sheet Summary & I keep getting an "Unparseable" Error.

=COUNTIF(RESPONSIBLE ENTITY:RESPONSIBLE ENTITY, "FIRM")

Comments

• Paul NewcomePaul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭

You need square brackets [ ] around each of your column names.

[RESPONSIBLE ENTITY]:[RESPONSIBLE ENTITY]

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Donni,

When you have columns with numbers or multiple words you have to use Square Brackets.

Try this.

=COUNTIF([RESPONSIBLE ENTITY]:[RESPONSIBLE ENTITY], "FIRM")

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Donni MatthewDonni Matthew ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for explaining when the brackets are needed.  I couldn't figure out when/why they were required.  Much appreciated.

They are needed when you have a number, space, or special character in the column name. I am pretty sure that covers all of the reasons why you would need square brackets.

Happy to help!

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

I always forget about the special characters wink

• I'm using the following formula but I keep on getting #UNPARSEABLE

=COUNTIFS({GP TRACKER INTAKE DATE} , IFERROR((@cell),0) > DATE(2019,6,30),({GP TRACKER STATUS}, IFERROR((@cell),0) = "FUTURE PROJECT"))

• Frank FalcoFrank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭

Try

=IFERROR(COUNTIFS({GP TRACKER INTAKE DATE} , > DATE(2019,6,30),{GP TRACKER STATUS},"FUTURE PROJECT"),0)

I'm assuming you want 0 if there is an error, based on your IFERROR((@cell),0)

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

@Javier Salar

To correct your original formula, it is just a matter of extra parenthesis being tucked in there.

=COUNTIFS({GP TRACKER INTAKE DATE}, IFERROR(@cell), 0) > DATE(2019, 6, 30) ,{GP TRACKER STATUS}, IFERROR(@cell), 0) = "FUTURE PROJECT")