Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

View permissions on individual columns & rows

Options
Al Hazan
Al Hazan
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi,

Is it possible to set permissions on indivdual columns of a sheet? i Have a tracking sheet that coordinates orders between my company, the factories we use, and our salespeople. I don't want the factory to be able to see the column with theprice we are selling an item to our customers for. i don't want our sales people to see the column that shows the price we are paying to the factoy. i don't want factory A that's producing the order in row 32 to see details of the order placed with factory B in row 33. is it possible to block certain rows or columns from certain users based on whether that factory producing that row? for example, if Column A specifies the factory for the order in a particular row, can i have a user name tied to that factory, and only that factory's user name can see that row?

Thanks,

Albert

Tags:

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hello Al,

There currently isn't a way to securely hide data in a sheet. All collaborators shared on the sheet are able to see all of the data, and there isn't a way to prevent certain users/groups from seeing specific columns in a sheet.

I'll get your vote down for this on our enhancement request list for further consideration, we appreciate your input!

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/17/16
    Options

Hi Al,

You could get to this by using reports for the different groups. Each group could have it's own report that only shows them what you want them to see. If they are doing updates, reports will still work since they are live. Maybe that will work for you.

Peace!

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 10/17/16
    Options

Good idea @heidi —I'd like to point out that going the route of using reports doesn't securely hide columns from collaborators. Reports require that the source sheets are shared to collaborators (or else the report will appear blank) and users can navigate to the source sheets and see all data in the sheet grid.

• Al Hazan
    Options

Would it be possible to make 1 master sheet that contains all the data, then another sheet, let's say we name it 'IllinoisIndustrialMetal' and IllinoisIndustrialMetal sheet automatically populates with the rows from the master sheet that contain IllinoisIndustrialMetal in the 'Factory' column?

I can then give the staff from IllinoisIndustrialMetal factory access only to the IllinoisIndustrialMetal sheet.

• Rob Elliott
    Options

EXACTLY - Really diminishes the capability of the reporting feature.

• ckelsoe
    ckelsoe ✭✭
    Options

The ability to hide rows based on some form of permissions is really needed. For example, we want to have rows that the internal team sees and have the users who are external users to the domain not be able to see the row. 

• Lucy Steele
    Options

are there any updates to incorporate this feature?

This discussion has been closed.