How to handle a very long list of (multiple select) choices in a form

Kris Dysert
Kris Dysert ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I am new to Smartsheet and using it to replace old InfoPath forms. One thing I cannot find an elegant solution for is expanding fields/sections. Basically, I want to send an instructor a form that asks which courses they would like to teach next semester. There are hundreds of courses. I will eventually want to use this to copy/link to another sheet where I can see all instructors who have selected a specific course.

Right now I have a form with 6 questions, each of which lists several courses that they can multiple select. For instance, the 'ACC-ART' dropdown has the choices "ART 100, ART 101, ART 102. etc". The issue there is that in my sheet, there is an ACC-ART column with many selections in one cell. 

Is there a formula to break them out on a new sheet, in a relational style? So that

Dysert, Kris     ART 100, ART 101

becomes

Dysert, Kris     ART 100

Dysert, Kris     ART 101

? Or is there a better way to handle this? All I can think of is a big horrible form with every course listed and a yes/no checkbox next to each... I would have them type in the courses in text boxes, if data validation were possible.

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!