Dashboard Image Based on Data Value

Options
dwinkel2
dwinkel2 ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Is it possible to display an image on a dashboard that is dependent upon a value in the cell of a sheet (not including the existing symbols within Smartsheet) and can change as the value changes?

I have a sheet with a variable that can have 3 possible values.  I'd like to show the value on a dashboard as an image rather than just the number.  The existing symbols do not map well to this variable, I'd like to use custom images.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

HERE is a sheet I put together showing a good chunk of symbols that can be generated using the CHAR and UNICHAR functions. It is not nearly all of them, but it is definitely a decent amount.

The CHAR functions are 1 - 255, and the UNICHAR funnctions go from 1 - 100,000.

You could use a cell and a nested IF to generate different symbols using those functions and have that cell displayed on your dashboard using a metrics widget.

Would something like that help?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

The third-party service, Zapier might be an option (untested) for this scenario. Is that an option for you?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭
    Options

I had tried to use something like this:

=INDEX({logo_column_range}, MATCH([Brand Name]1, {brand_name_range}, 0))

to grab a .png that was in the row next to the brand's name, but it didn't work.

I've tried vlookups and various other methods - nothing currently built into Smartsheet retrieves the image.

Paul Newcome's idea... build some ASCII art :P

• Darryl_Joynt
    Options

Has a resolution been published for this question yet? I'm trying to do the same thing ....I have 3 images ... each in it's own column/cell and would like my image to change based on a cell value.

I'm trying a formula like where I'm parsing a value column and then getting the image from another cell. but it's just putting the image name in the report now and i really need the image.

=IF([SubStatus_ScheduleValue]@row < 1, [Unchanged Image]@row, IF([SubStatus_ScheduleValue]@row > 1, [Declined Image]@row, IF([SubStatus_ScheduleValue]@row = 1, [Improved Image]@row)))

Thanks for any help or direction on this issue.

Darryl

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Darryl_Joynt

There currently isn't a way to display an image using a formula; the formula will display the image name, as you've found. You could use a formula to display a URL that then links to an image, if that helps.

Please feel free to add your vote to this Product Idea: IMAGE to another Sheet by Join Collect