Populate Sheet Summary with Form?

ryanhnelson
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi there,

I'm learning Smartsheet, so apologies in advance for the basic question.

Is it possible to populate the Sheet Summary via a Form? If so, how? We have a sheet we want to create with minimal structural information in place, and the Form should be used to supply metadata we use to track and manage the sheets themselves.

I looked but didn't see an immediately clear way to do this when creating a form itself. Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers, Ryan

Comments

• PPS Solutions
    PPS Solutions ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ryan, not possible to do via form I believe , what sort of info do you need to populate into the summary fields?   We have developed an app which does this and is suited for internal use within a business. drop me a line if you need any more info.  Cheers Dan

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ryan,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to populate only the sheet summary, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

A possible workaround would be to collect the information from the form as usual but hide the columns that should populate the Sheet Summary.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hey Dan, thanks for the quick reply. Info would preferably include the name of the sheet, IDs for related projects within another database, and start/end dates. Of course it's possible to just enter this information quickly after creating a sheet from a template, but I thought using a form to create from a template would be an elegant way to handle the first step.

• PPS Solutions
    PPS Solutions ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure fully agree.  It will be interesting to see how 10,000ft Integration eventually pans out in this respect as when you create projects within that it allows you to set attributes per project which can then be used for reporting thereafter.   The App we built deals with multiple templates so is designed to quickly bulk update summary fields en masse.

cheers Dan

• Hey Andrée, thanks for the response! I'll give populating a sheet via form to hidden columns a try. That's another elegant way to handle that.

Thanks for sending along the Enhancement Request link; I filled that out and submitted it. I can't imagine that I'm the only one interested in being able to start a template from a form that provides the metadata (in the form of Sheet Summary) for a new project. :-)

Cheers and have a great day, Ryan

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Another way to structure a solution that I use in my client solutions is to have, for example, a so-called Intake Process sheet and then link that to a Project sheet and have the information for the specific project linked to the sheet and the Sheet Summary.

Make sense? Would that help/work?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.