FAQ: How do I use Rich Text when I’m posting a question, discussion, or comment?

Genevieve PGenevieve P admin
edited 12/12/19 in Welcome to the Community
12/12/19 Edited 12/12/19

There are a number of different formatting options when posting content in the online Community.

This first set of buttons allows you to add bold, italic, strike, code, or link formatting to selected text. The following standard keyboard shortcuts also work when you have begun typing inside the editor.

• ctrl+b or ⌘+b for bold.
  • ctrl+i or ⌘+i for italic.
  • ctrl+k or ⌘+k for link.

Paragraph Formatting

You can also adjust paragraph formatting within your posts by clicking on the Paragraph symbol that appears to the left as you type. Currently it is broken down into 4 categories:

• Heading Formats (Displays 4 possible levels of headings).
  • List Formats (Numbered List, Bulleted List, Indented & Outdent).
  • Special Formats (Quote, Code Block, Spoiler).
  • Standard Format

Markdown Macros

There are a number of markdown macros that will transform your text:

NOTE: one of the macros is the greater than symbol, >, which will turn your text into a comment. If you are typing in formulas that include a > symbol, you may want to do one of the following:

• Create the formula in Smartsheet and then copy/paste it into the text editor on Community

-or-

• Use the Code Block format to type your formula  

Comments

• Paul NewcomePaul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭

I am having some issues with the Code Block formatting.

I can only type one character at a time and the cursor automatically jumps back to the first position within the code block. Then I have to move it back to where I was, type another character, wait for it to jump back to the beginning, and do it all over again.

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have the same issue. @Paul Newcome As a workaround I create the formula first and then select the code block format.

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

Andree,

My problem with doing it that way is when I need to use the Greater Than symbol. I have gotten so used to being able to just type out formulas in here. I know there is going to be a bit of a learning curve as I get used to some of the changes, but using the code block formatting would be much more helpful if the cursor would stay where it is supposed to. Yes. I can type the formula into a sheet then copy/paste, but a lot of times I don't even think to do that if the formula is one of the more simple ones or if I am just letting the ideas flow.

@Genevieve P.

Is the above an intended action of the code block?

• Hi @Paul Newcome and @Andrée Starå ,

This isn't indented behaviour; I've tested and found that the cursor jumps to the beginning if the draft auto-saves while I'm typing. Is this when it's jumping for you, as well? What browsers are you both using? (I'm on Chrome.)

The greater than symbol macro will be an adjustment for me, too. I've found that if you type out your formulas without a space before the symbol, like so>, the macro won't run. Then you can go in afterwards to add in the space (so it's correct for anyone copy/pasting). Like so > .

edited 12/17/19

@Genevieve P.

Initially it was within a second after I stopped typing. And I do mean literally. If I stopped typing in a code block for more than a second (meaning 1/60th of a minute), it would jump back to the beginning. I didn't pay attention to see if saving a draft was happening that frequently at that time.

Testing it today, it is happening less frequently, but it is consistent with when a draft is saved which is much easier to work with than previously.

I am also using Chrome.

As for the ">" macro... Even not entering a space before hitting the symbol is going to take some getting used to. Hahaha. I am going to have to train my thumbs to be a little less quick on that space bar. That is definitely helpful info though. Thanks!!

EDIT: Another question regarding the code block and how it works...

When I enter a formula into a code block, it no longer wraps to fit within the overall post. I either have to scroll to the right within the code block or manually enter line breaks. Is that intended?

I have never used code blocks in forums before and don't have much in the way of programming experience (I have only taught myself the basics of C# thus far), so I am not familiar with what is and is not expected with these.