Import related data into Master registration sheet?

Hi all!

I am making a registration form for students who will be attending a summer camp. Because they are minors, we need agreements (I am structuring these in a simple "check the box if you agree to the code of conduct" format ) from both students and parents.

The catch is that students and parents may not be filling the form out together. So, if students fill out their portion and submit it, I need to send another form to parents so they can check their respective boxes. Ultimately, all of this information needs to be contained in one unique row for each student for ease of use by our registrar.

Question 1: is there a way to make two separate forms that would both save data in the same row?

Question 2: if there's not, then I end up with two separate forms, linked only by common information (likely student name and birthdate). How do I get this information saved into the original student row, along with all of the previously student-submitted info?

Thanks so much!!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/30/20

Hi Megan,

I’d recommend that the student fills in the form, and then you’d have a workflow send out an update request to the parent to fill in their part.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

Thanks for the quick response! Would you mind helping me work through what the workflow would look like?

I've only been using Smartsheet for about two weeks, so I have lots to learn! I guess I am mostly confused on how update requests interact with forms.

Much appreciated!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Who adds the email addresses? Will the student add the parents information?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks Andrée!

Here's an overview of the process:

1. Student fills out Smartsheet web form to apply to our program. This includes lots of information, including their own contact information and that of their parents'. This info gets pushed into a "Registration" sheet, which will store the responses from all of our applicants (500+).
    2. I would like for this submission to trigger an automatic email to the parent (so just pulling the email from the "Parent Email" column for each student row) with a link to the form the parent needs to fill out.
    3. Parent fills out their form and submits. Their form may include things like "student medications" or various permissions the student is not able to fill out themselves.
    4. When this second form is submitted, how can I get this information (parent form) to integrate into their student's row? Right now it seems like this information would show as a separate row within the form and I would have to manually merge them.

I would like to make the solution as simple and non-technical as possible since we are dealing with a folks with a wide range of technical knowledge and ability level.

I guess I am asking two questions, one in step 2 and one in step 4. I appreciate any light you can shed!

Megan

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

I'd recommend starting the process with a form for the student and then have an automatic workflow with an update request sent to the parent.

Would that work?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!