Automation not following Conditions set

Options

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with my automation. I have an Update Request and an Alert automation set up as one Workflow to send out if an upcoming task is less than 70% complete and is not a Parent Row. The problem is I continue to get notifications for rows that are 100% complete and rows that are Parents. What am I doing wrong?

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi Natalie,

It looks like you have your condition set as either the task is less than 70% or where the Parent row is not checked. Click on that blue "or" in the Condition box and it should change to an and, which will resolve your issue. This way the workflow will only run if both conditions are met.

Let me know if that works!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Natalie Davison
    Options

Thanks for your response Genevieve. I actually need it be an OR situation. I don't want notifications at all for Parents and then for Children I only want notifications if less than 70%. Should I still change it to AND?

• Natalie Davison
    Options

Here is an example of the notifications I get. You can see I'm still getting parent row notifications and child rows that are at 100%.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 02/03/20
    Options

Hi Natalie,

Yes. Using or means that the workflow is looking at the two conditions separately... either this or this, as if they are two different workflows.

This means, if you have any row (including a Parent row) that is less than 70% it will be included.

Or

If you have a child row (with any percentage) it will be included.

Changing it to and means that only rows that meet both conditions (less than 70% and a child row) will be included in the alert.

In addition, I just clued in to the fact that you are looking for a percent in a percent-type column... you'll want to write this as 0.7 instead of 70, since percent columns are read as decimals. Your alert is currently set up to send you every row that is under 7,000%!

Let me know if I can clarify anything further :)

-Genevieve

• Natalie Davison
    Options

Thank you! I originally had it as AND but was still getting alerts (probably because my % was incorrect in the first place) so I changed it to OR and that didn't help since it didn't actually solve the original issue. I fixed everything per your directions, and now I'll wait to see what I get alerts for this week. Thanks again for your help!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

No problem at all, I'm happy to help!