How to populate dropdown value list from another sheet

Options
Robin Soprano
Robin Soprano ✭✭✭
edited 02/05/20 in Formulas and Functions

I have a list of employee information in one smartsheet. In another smartsheet, I'm recording events/things about employees. I'd like to have a dropdown list that have the list of employees names (from the other sheet) that I could use to select which employee this record pertains to.

Help?

Thanks!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Robin,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment to have your vote added

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Rob Palmer

Hi Rob,

There are two possible workarounds.

You could use a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH cross-sheet formula, but the list would need to be maintained manually in the dropdown list.

A solution that would be perfect for this use-case and that be used to keep the Dropdown list synced is the premium add-on, Data Uploader. Is that an option?

More info: 

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jen Pyrzanowski
    Options

I second...."I have to go into dropbox fields to update them for the user to select when it should be loaded from a column in some summary master daty sheet.................Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" Really Smartsheet??? Basic best practice would be to pull from master sheet rather than recreate the list.

• MikeChambers
    Options

I'd like to throw my vote in for this feature as well. I work at a university where the names of colleges and departments within those colleges are frequently updated. I need a dropdown list on forms that allow users to select their department from a dropdown list that is regularly updated. Is there a way to influence Smartsheet to consider adding this functionality? I have upvoted the ideas in this thread, and I'm looking for additional ways to add my voice to the growing number of users who are requesting this feature.

• Hugebean
    Options

Yeah...I'd really like to hear from SS about this. And please don't tell us "wow what a good idea...please submit an enhancement request" ... it's been requested many times over many years.

Think about how much more useful SS would be if you could populate dropdown lists from another sheet...something we take for granted in Excel. I'm tired of doing gymnastics to get around this or just flat-out abandoning good SS implementation ideas and using Excel or some other tech solution because SS can't do this.

Why won't you (Smartsheet) address this? I've worked in software development and I know users like to rant and rave, wave their arms, and express utter disbelief that such a SIMPLE and OBVIOUS feature has been omitted. Often it is not simple due to existing software architecture structure. If that's the case, fine, but at least give us an explanation (so we know not to expect it). After several years and nothing but crickets from Smartsheet on this, there's not much to say other than WTF???

Please, SS...give us some shred of information on the status of this capability.

• jim.wilson94326
    Options

My organization became a customer a little over a year ago. This feature was our #1 concern prior to signing the contract and paying a ton of money (for a small non-profit). We were told by our sales rep that he had never heard of such a request and wasn't quite sure what I was talking about. In a screen-share session, I demonstrated the feature as it works in AirTable. After he "checked with the engineers", he assured us that the feature would be coming soon and to watch for an announcement. We eagerly scanned announcements coming out of ENGAGE 2019. Nothing. I have not seen anything out today's ENGAGE 2020 sessions I watched. I'm with @Hugebean: I get that seemingly simple can actually be complex. What I don't get is silence on the matter. I'm tired of copying and pasting country codes, currency codes, etc. from dropdown list to dropdown list.

• Erik Jensen
    Erik Jensen ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Count me in on this as well. This piece of functionality I could hack my way around to a solution in the past. My company is growing in size and my hack (which is just manually going from sheet to sheet updating the same drop down column), is now making it very easy to make mistakes.

Smartsheet, I am your biggest salesperson here in Vancouver. I tell all of my customers and trades how much I love you. The lack of this functionality has made me start looking for alternatives.

It really doesn't seem like a big ask. What's the holdup?

• Alex T.
    Alex T. ✭✭✭
    Options

Going to chime in here, crazy that this isn't available yet. Was told 3 years ago "soon". When will "soon" be now?

• Byron Hu
    Byron Hu ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agree! Why isn't there a community manager monitoring this thread and providing some explanation? Without explanations, the only reason I can think of is so that they can charge extra for their premium apps for a function that should be super basic.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!