Lookup in one column to enter text in another

I want to look up a value from a dropdown in one column and enter text into another column based on the value found in the first column - is this possible? I can't seem to work it out!

For example, if 'Column A' is '123', 'Column B' will populate with the text 'Great'. Again, if 'Column A' is '456', 'Column B' will populate with the text 'Not bad'.

Anyone got any ideas?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Try something like this.

=IF([Column A]@row = "123"; "Great"; IF([Column A]@row = "456"; "Not Bad"))

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=IF([Column A]@row = "123", "Great", IF([Column A]@row = "456", "Not Bad"))

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå's solution is correct. However it could become very cumbersome if you have a lot of different outputs you want to be able to generate. If that is the case, feel free to let us know. He and I both could possibly help with an INDEX/MATCH solution referencing a table if you do have a lot of different outputs.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!