Same comment on multiple conversations

Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Same comment on multiple conversations

Chris WinfieldChris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi Community,

I was wondering if anybody knows a good way to quickly add the same comment to multiple rows. This will be a note to describe the circumstances for the setup of a group of projects on our project register.

Any ideas appreciated.

Chris

Comments

• J. Craig WilliamsJ. Craig Williams Top Contributor

Chris,

Assuming you mean in the Comments themselves, then no.

There might be a way to do that using the API, but I haven't run into that use case yet.

Here's some alternatives off the top of my head:

1. Use sheet level comment instead of row level

2. Use one row for common discussions. A PM / worker would need to look at two rows on the sheet - the common and their own project (depending on the way your sheet is organized)

3. Similiar to #2, use a [Setup Circumstances] column to hold a single cell and then each project row's cell in that column would reference the common comment.

4. Zapier (www.zapier.com) can trigger on a new comment, filter on the creator or the content, and then "do stuff". That stuff ncludes 'Add Discussions to Row' - but there is no way to recurse through all of the rows and the Zap row manipulation requires the RowID - so only good for static sheets.

But ... it could be made to work, I think in some cases.

Hppe this helps.

Craig

• Chris WinfieldChris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting ideas - thanks Craig. In practice, I don't think these will really help much for my specific circumstances, but they have sparked off some interesting thoughts!

Cheers,

Chris

This discussion has been closed.