ABSOLUTE CELL LINKING

Options

Im really struggling with getting an absolute cell value to stay in a sheet or in a sheet summary.

maybe im going at in the wrong direction. please help.

I have a form on my call centre data sheet that is adding an information line each day. The line is picking up all my formulas for my metrics on who is answering the phone etc and feeding the info into a portal.

I am trying to set absolute cell location in a new sheet or in a sheet summary so i don't have to keep updating the the widgets data range daily.

I have tried $a$1 but as soon as you add a line or delete a line the link becomes $A$2 or unparseable.

please help

woody

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is because when you create an absolute reference, you are creating a reference to that exact row. When a new row is added to the top of the sheet (or anywhere above the reference), you move that row down. Since you are creating a reference to that row and not necessarily that row number, the reference shifts with it.

We may be able to come up with a solution for you though. Do you only need to pull the most recent row? What formula(s) are you currently using?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

@WOODY

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the formulas, the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!