Auto-populate multiple cells with hyperlinks to web pages based on the value of one cell?

Options

I have a sheet serving as a software upgrade checklist template "model", (not an actual template, because it contains cross-sheet functionality, which is lost in templates).

The sheet includes rows of tasks and a column containing hyperlinks to web-based instructions for each task.

Instructions are on different pages based on the version of software being upgraded. I'd like to make a drop-menu cell listing software versions, and populate the hyperlink/instructions cells based on the version selected in that cell.

The user would select the sheet, "save as new...", then select the software version from the version menu cell, and the sheet would auto-populate with the appropriate hyperlinks.

Is this possible in Smartsheet?

At all cost, I want to avoid making a sheet for each software version.

I'm considering making a separate sheet containing ALL links for ALL software versions, and using vlookup, but I'd rather not, if there's an easier way.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Kevin,

If I remember correctly, the links will not be clickable when a lookup or INDEX/MATCH is used.

Another method could be to keep everything in a template and then use a filter to show the information for the specific version.

A report could also be used to only show the information for the specific version.

Make sense?

Would any of those options work/help?

Which one do you prefer?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kevin Segrist
    Options

Hi Andre, thank you for your quick reply.

I'll have to play with reports. The concern I have is that updating a report also updates the sheet from which the report is created. Since each new sheet, (or report), created from the "model" belongs to the project for which it is created, I don't want tasks marked as complete, (or notes added to the checklist) to update the model.

I COULD have the user create the new sheet from the model, then build a report off the new sheet to prevent this, but I'm also trying to make this as user-friendly and automated as I can. Building a report is a bigger ask for a quick project setup than I wanted to subject the user to.

I could be misunderstanding your intent, but I'll look more into it.

Thanks again!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

How many different versions can there be?

It sounds like the template with filters might be the best/simplest method.

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kevin Segrist
    Options

Since the product has a lengthy history, and continues to be developed, the number of versions will continue to increase. I need this solution to grow easily with each new release. I will look at using a template with filters. I still need to get past the (unrelated) loss of cross-sheet functionality issue using templates, though. Would what your suggesting behave the same using an actual sheet for the model, instead of a template?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, a template is basically a sheet that is saved and not editable so it makes it easier to create a new version.

You can also use a sheet and save as new and then you’ll be able to keep the cross-sheet formulas intact.