Validations/checks before changing the status of a row

Roger
Roger ✭✭
edited 04/20/20 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

First of all thanks in advance for support.

I have a question, which i think is basic.... but i haven't find the way to solve it.

I have a sheet with a status column, then i have 2 columns for KPI values: Status, KPI1, KPI2, start date, end date, etc....

I want to "not allow" to complete the task if the columns with the KPI are not filled. I need the system to prevent the user to change the status to "complete" if the 2 columns are not filled.

I need the user to control the status cell, so, i can not put an "automatic" status formula calculation.

I dont see any automation to change the value of a row, i can move rows, i can send emails but i can not do something like IF ((KPI1 is null) and (KPI2 is null)) then status = in progress, triggered when the status changes to complete.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Roger,

As a possible workaround, you could use the third-party service, Zapier, which is an excellent option for this scenario.

Is that an option for you?

Another option could be to have cells showing a message until the KPI fields are completed or similar.

Would any of those methods work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Roger
    Roger ✭✭

Hello,

Thanks for answering.

So I understand that there is no way OOTB to do any kind of validation or control when changing a cell.

Only if its a fully "automated" (result from a formula) with no interaction.

Right?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Roger

Happy to help!

Unfortunately, it has to be done with a formula or conditional formatting.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.