Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Cell Linking Within Same Sheet

MarkBaker
MarkBaker
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hello - I'm trying to put a summary line at the top of my sheet showing the latest date on the critical path, so that i can view it even when all the sections are collapsed.

Is there a way for me, in line 1, to link a cell next to the label "Current Planned Delivery Date" to the cell that holds this data (column=Finish Date", row=102)?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

=[Finish Date]102

Make sure the cell with the formula is Date column.

If it isn't, force it to be text:

=[Finish Date]102 + ""

Hope this helps.

Craig

• MarkBaker
    MarkBaker
    edited 12/14/16

Hello Craig - Thanks very much for the reply; I believe I've done as you suggested but am not getting the results I seek. I've attached a screenshot of the section I'm looking at, the only difference here is that the name of the column I am trying to link from is "Finish" (not "Finish Date"), and the row at the bottom of the sheet, nont the top - don't know if this makes a difference).

cell linking 1.jpg

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mark,

If you have Dependencies enabled, you can not have a formula in the  [Finish] column if that is one of the two date columns in the Project Settings.

Create a new [InfoDate] column and try the formula there.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Craig

• Thanks again Craig - made the changes but still no cigar. I've created the new column (SumDate), formatted it as a date column, and moved the formula there. Still just showing the contents of the cell (screenshot attached).

cell linking 1.jpg

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mark,

That's odd.

When you first type the "=" sign into the cell, does the cell highlight in any way?

For a normal sized row, the black border should 'expand' a bit when you type the equals sign.

Next, mouse click on the cell to the left in the same row, that cell should have a dotted line around it and look like it is moving. The formula should auto-populate (Finish177 in your sheet).

Does it do that?

If you type =[Finish]102, it should change to =Finish102 because the column name does not have a space or end in a number. But that should not break it.

If you click on the formula does it look like this:

'=[Finish]102 

or

=[Finish]102?

If the first, remove the single quote.

If that still does not work, if you can, you can share it to me: 

jcwill23@gmail.com

Craig

• Hello Craig - Bingo! I wasn't entering the "=" and then mouse-selecting the target, I was typing the entire formula in. Once I used the mouse-select method it worked like a charm. Thanks very much for getting this sorted for me!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mark,

Odd that you could not type it in, but ... glad it works.

You are welcome.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.