Formulas in sheets with auto-number columns

I have a sheet with an automatic numbering column. Data for this sheet will be captured through a webform. I need certain columns, which will not be populated throught the webform, to have formulas in them. How do I add those formulas without adding them in the first row which triggers the automatic numbering?

I thought of adding those columns as hidden fields in the webform, but one of the columns which needa to contain a formula is a checkbox column, so I cannot set the default value for that column in the webform as it does only allow a checkbox column to have a default value of either checked or unchecked.

Any help will be appreciated

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jana,

You’ll either have to add at least two rows with the same pattern at the top of the sheet or use a third-party service like Zapier or/and the Smartsheet API.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jana Brits
    Jana Brits ✭✭✭✭

Hey Andrée 

Thank you for your answer. I understand that to add a t least one or two rows with the same pattern at the top will solve my the formula problem, but it does not solve my problem regarding the automatic number column. As soon as you enter something in a row the automatic number column assigns a number to that row. So the PJT00001 in my example below is allocated to row 1 and not a real project. It therefore also gives the false impression that there is a project. I hope you understand my dilemma?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jana Brits

The best option would probably be the 3rd party service, Zapier or the Smartsheet API.

I'll get back to the post if I think of something else.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!