Formula or Rules to AutoPopulate Columns in Sheet

I have a master data sheet where a team of 30+ people will be adding 2021 data and creating our annual plan.

To make it easier for them to complete the sheet, I wanted to have the ability to autopopulate certain columns based on their answer from a drop down choice in an earlier column.

As an example:

1) If they select "Specific Product Name" as a drop down choice, I want to autopopulate "Therapeutic Area" and "Business Area" and "Sub Business Area" columns automatically.

2) If they select "Program type" as a drop down choice, I want to autopopulate "Program Weight" category.

etc....

I wasn't sure if that was done using a formula, automation or rule, or if I had to cross reference a separate data sheet.

I have been searching the forum and don't seem to find this specific situation.

Thank you for your help!

Best Answers

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jo-Ann,

You could use multiple IF functions. How many different options can there be?

Also, would the auto added values need to be changed?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jo-Ann Turning
    Jo-Ann Turning ✭✭✭✭

There would only be one option tied to each selection.

If they selected "Advisory Board" in the Program Type drop down, I want "1" to show up in Program Weighting column.

If they selected "Ad Board teleconference" in drop down, I would want ".50" to show up in Program Weighting.....

each drop down choice would have a weighting associated with it....

I have 11 different program types as possible drop down choices - each one has a "weighting" assigned to it.... so if I use the "multiple IFs" function do I just keep writing the same formula over and over? that's where I get confused.....

thanks for your quick reply!

• Jo-Ann Turning
    Jo-Ann Turning ✭✭✭✭

Thank you!!! that helped so much. Does the same formatting apply if my value that I want to show up in the second column is text?

I was trying to follow the same logic for some other column references but it shows as #UNPARSEABLE

Here was the logic I'm trying to use:

US = HQ

GHQ=HQ

GEMS Reg AP=REG

GEMS Reg LA=REG

GEMS Reg EMEAC=REG

here was the formula I tried to do following that same logic? Do you see anything I'm missing? If I have the answer to this question - I think you will solve ALL my problems for this project sheet. Thank you!!

=IF([BoB Country]@row = "US", [HQ], IF([BoB Country]@row = "GHQ", [HQ], IF([BoB Country]@row = "GEMS Reg AP", [REG], IF([BoB Country]@row = "GEMS Reg EMEAC", [REG], IF([BoB Country]@row = "GEMS Reg LA", [REG]))

• Jo-Ann Turning
    Jo-Ann Turning ✭✭✭✭

Thank you!! thank you!!😀 yes this worked. And I figured out how to accomplish also using VLOOKUP...

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jo-Ann Turning

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!