Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Creating a new template

Brad Plant
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I just moved my team over to smartsheet (off of excel), so I'm still learning. Is there a way to create a new template with custom columns so that my team can have a consistent custom template to start projects with?

Comments

• If you have something similar in Excel, import it, and save it as a sheet once you've got it configured the way you want. Whenever you want a copy of that sheet, "Save as new". We have a folder in our workspace for templates.

I haven't had much luck with templates because my templates have to change on occcasion, and I don't want to save it as a new template.

• We use a standard template for every new project..feel free to contact me and I can give you a brief demo and answer some questions for you..Thanks 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/29/16

For me, the primary advantage of using a Template (Save as Template) vs a sheet (Save as New) is that the Templates do not count as a sheet for your account limits.

While for some, this is not a problem, I have worked with many clients that were constantly bumping up against their accounts sheet limits.

The main thing that you lose are things that are not saved Templates - like Alerts.

As Russ implied, updating a Template can take some effort (Use Template, make mods, Save as Template, delete old version).

For project related work, you might be better off creating a Workspace (sheets & reports, not templates) and the starting your project by Save as New on the whole Workspace.

Hope this helps.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.