Dynamic Data Validation with Columns from another Grid

05/26/20
Accepted

Hi,

I want to be able to validate data in a drop-down menu in one sheet from a column in another sheet.

EX: I have a sheet that serves as a master sheet of projects and the project's properties (Name, budget, etc.), and another sheet that serves as tracking tasks related to the projects in the master sheet. When People record a task being done, I want them to only be able to select names of existing projects, but I also want that list to automatically expand as we add more projects in the master sheet.

In EXCEL, I would accomplish this by assigning the relevant column in the table a name in name manager, and telling data validation to limit available responses by that column's name. The result is that I could add projects to the master table and it would add that to the drop down list created by Data Validation applied in other tables/sheets. Is there a comparable way to do this on Smartsheets?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks Mike! I checked out the doc and that's super informative on the limitations and work arounds for Smartsheets. I might need something native if I want my co-workers to adopt this kind of workflow. Thanks for your answer!

• Mike WildayMike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭

Give the cell linking a try. That is native, and its pretty intuitive, but it is a workaround. You might find it suits your needs?

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Benjamin Hatmaker

To add to Mike's excellent advice. (Thanks @Mike Wilday )

A solution that would be perfect for this use-case is the premium add-on, Data Uploader.

Is that an option?

More info: 

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.