Copy INDEX formula down for the rest of the column

Hi all,

I want to autopopulate the first column of sheet B with the data from the first column in Sheet A

I got it to a point with using the INDEX formula to reference, but now I cannot drag the formula down to apply this for the entire column.

This is for row 1 "=INDEX({Sheet A MUR TN}, 1, 1)"

I think I am missing something very stupid here, but I just can't figure it out...

Raul

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Raul,

You’ll need to either use a VLOOKUP or a combination of INDEX/MATCH.

Also, you need something unique To match the rows together.

It can be as simple as adding an auto-number column on the source sheet and adding the same on the destination sheet or adding them manually.

The VLOOKUP would look something like this.

=VLOOKUP([Destination Sheet Column]@row; {Source Sheet Range}; 2; 0)

=VLOOKUP([Column with the value to match against]@row; {Source sheet range where the first column in the range has to contain the value we want to match}; 2 <This number we use to select the column from where we want to get the value, and from the starting column; 0<Indicates that we want to find an exact match)

Syntax

VLOOKUP(search_valuelookup_tablecolumn_num[match_type])

• search_value—The value to search for, which must be in the first column of lookup_table.
    • lookup_table—The cell range in which to search, containing both the search_value (in the leftmost column) and the return value.
    • column_num—A number representing the column position (in lookup_table) of the value to return, with the leftmost column of lookup_table at position 1.
    • match_type—[optional] The default is true. Specifies whether to find an exact match (false) or an approximate match (true).

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!