Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Cell Linking Blank Templates

Options
Laura
Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I'm looking to create a "Packet" of 3 sheets that cell link together to be used for multiple projects. Is it possible to create 2-3 Blank Templates set up to cell link with one another, without it getting altered when the blank template is used again for a different project? Hopefully this explaination makes sense. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The easiest method is to put those two or three sheets as Sheets, not Templates into a Workspace.

When the new project is started, Save as New on the Workspace to create a copy.

The links can be updated automatically to the new names.

As you rename the sheets, the links will update too.

Maintain the Workspace copy as your 'template' but don't start working on a new project until you have saved the Workspace as a new one.

Templates are a stand-alone instance and have no knowledge of other objects until they become Sheets.

Hope this helps.

Craig

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Craig!

We currently have one workspace per dept and the sheets in the workspace were for projects related to that dept. I'm going to have to think about how I can reorganize. Any suggestions, besides only sharing the workspaces with the dept its related to?

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/10/17
    Options

Would this still work if I created a folder within the workspace that held the 2-3 sheets (which are cell linked) then when a new project started, I could just Save as New on the folder within the workspace? 

• Jeff Zumaris
    Options

Yes this works with copying folders and all the contents in it.

This discussion has been closed.