Using "Update Immediately" in Data Mesh

Options
Paul.Koetke
Paul.Koetke ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi all, I am looking for more clarity on the issues with the "Update Immediately" option in Data Mesh. I am familiar with the fact that the "Update Immediately" option is not always reliable or timely and want to understand more about why that is so I can work around this issue. Data Mesh is transferring business critical information for us and if we can't be sure it's up to date we can't depend on it.

So I'm wondering, what triggers a Data Mesh to run? Do all of the below possibilities triggers?

-User updates

-Formula updates (both cross sheet and single sheet)

-Move Row automations

-Other Data Meshs feeding into and out of the sheet

-Cell links

The main point is that if I can understand where is issue is with "Update Immediately" I should be able to avoid or create workarounds. Right now it just works sometime and not other times, and I don't know why.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

• Ben Goldblatt
    Options

Hi @Paul.Koetke

The column mapping you setup in the DataMesh configuration is used to determine what information needs to link or copy and where it needs to go. The Execution Frequency is what tells the system when to run the DataMesh workflow. "Update Immediately" can be set to run the workflow as changes are being made in the source sheet. When this option is selected, as new information is added DataMesh will continue to copy over the correct information based off of the specified lookup values. If DataMesh finds a match on the source sheet, the information will populate immediately.

As far as what triggers a workflow to run when "Update Immediately" is selected, DataMesh looks for matching cell values and these could come from manual entries, formulas, or cell links. I'm not entirely sure about "Move Row" automations and other DataMesh configurations but you may want to reach out to our Support team for help in determining what's causing your workflow to trigger and why it might not be triggering. You can click here to open a support ticket.

Feel free to post screenshots of your DataMesh configuration and maybe of your sheets (without any personal or confidential information displayed) showing the source and target info and I'll be happy to take a look to see if I can figure out what's going on there. If you are experiencing a technical issue, Support will definitely be your best resource.

I hope that helps!

Ben