Maximum Logic for Conditional Forms?

I have an intake form which asks something like: "Select the Offices that you have staff in" and has a multi select of all of our offices.

Then if they chose X, Y and Z, The logic fields would say "How many staff do you have in X office" and "How many do you have in Y office.

The problem is that the logic field for "select the offices you have staff are in" is capped at only 8 logic statements.

(if X is selected, show "how many staff do you have in X). if I have more than 8 cities, it won't let me set logic for anything over 8.

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @ArthurC

When creating logic within a field, you may be limited by the number of rules you add to the field, the length of the conditions in those rules, or the number of target fields that those rules apply to.

Eight statements is quite a lot to be based off of one field; would it be possible to break the form or sheet down a little more in order to limit the number of logic statements needed?

For example, could you break down this multi-select into three different categories of offices? (Perhaps with "N/A" or "None" being an option.) Then each of these three drop-down lists could have different rules applied.

If this wouldn't work for you, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet with an explanation of why it's set up with the columns as they are, and what you're hoping to achieve from the form & conditional logic.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• ArthurC
    ArthurC ✭✭✭✭

We are trying to track staff in our different offices. Maybe it's a form design problem.

we want to track how many staff in each office drive to work. rather than list all 15 offices.

we have multiple offices (~15).

I want to ask:

"Do you have any staff that drive into work" (yes/no)

if yes, Please select all of the offices that you have staff in that drive to work (select from 15 offices)

if select office A, please input number of staff in Office A that drive to work

if select office B, please input number of staff in Office B that drive to work

• Genevieve P.

Hi @ArthurC

In this instance, I would suggest breaking up your offices into 2 categories somehow... perhaps just alphabetically (ex. one column is A - M, then the other is N - Z), or some other categorization that has 7 or 8 offices per column instead of all 15 in one.

Then you can set up your form as you have it now, but with less than 8 rules based on each field, using the "is one of" condition for each selection.

Alternatively, you could leave all the fields showing in the form, with helper text to make it clear they only need to fill in the fields that relate to the office selection from earlier.

Hope that helps!

Genevieve

• Mary M
    Mary M ✭✭

Hi @ArthurC - I am experiencing a similar issue and wanted to check in to see if you found a workaround since this posted. Thank you

• ArthurC
    ArthurC ✭✭✭✭

nope no work around. you have to think of a creative way to rephrase the question

• I want to add a +1 to this comment. The limit here is frustrating.

My use case: I want to collect data about specific months across (currently) two years (24 total months) and two categories (24 months x 2 categories = 48 total fields). I don't want my users to open up a form with 48 entry fields--I want them to see only the fields that are applicable to their situation.

My current, clunky solution is to rename the fields in my first dropdown so they include BOTH year and category.

The comment above about "nested" logic is useless in this case because there's no way to add AND statements, it's OR by default and there's nothing you can do to change it.

I hope there's additional development here at some point, this is a powerful feature that provides a lot of value.

• I agree!!! Why limit the amount of conditions to 5? I want to use one form for multiple QC departments. At the top of the form, I want them to select which dept and that will pull up their individual data. I am unable to have more than 5 QC checkpoints for each group this way.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @ArthurC, @Mary M, @TimL, and @Meredith Krueger,

Thank you for your feedback about the maximum logic in forms. Our team has been able to significantly increase the limit so you should be able to update your forms as of this week to include more rules!

@ArthurC you should be able to do all 15 at once, now.

Please continue to let our Product team know of your feedback and suggestions through this form, here.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• rwood24
    rwood24 ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem that this has been resolved. I am limited to 7.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @rwood24

I hope you're well and safe!

What happens?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Genevieve P. I am still not able to use 15 arguments. I get an incorrect argument error message

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Dani_torrone

Can you post more information about what it is you're looking to do, including screen captures (but please block out sensitive data)?

Thanks!

Genevieve