Flag columns and formulas?

Hi,

I would like to use a Flag column with the following workflow:

1. Manually enable the flag.
  2. Automation then sends an approval request once date is reached (in separate column).
  3. I would then like to have the flag clear when the "Approval Request" column gets an "Approved" response back from the automated approval request.

When I create a formula in the flag column, I can drive it from the Approval Column and it works, but if I manually enable the flag, it appears to clear out the formula in the cell altogether.

Any thoughts or conceptional ideas of how to achieve this?

Much appreciated!

Tags:

Answers

• Hello @Jamy Crum ,

After performing some testing, I too retrieve the same results when manually toggling the flag.

I feel that if you have some other factors in your Sheet, E.G Status, you could then created a nested IF statement for the Flag being enabled or disabled. For instance, you may have: =IF([Sean Morgan approval]@row = "Approved", 0, IF(Status@row = "Complete", 1, IF(Status@row = "In Progress", 1, IF(Status@row = "Started", 0))))

Nonetheless, please can you raise an Enhancement Request using the quick links on the side. This is a great idea to be able to have the formula in a Symbol cell, as well as being able to manually manipulate the entry.

Let me know if you have any questions

Kindest Regards

Sean

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is true for all cell types. Any formulas within a cell will be removed when a manual entry is made.

• @Sean Morgan , @Paul Newcome,

Thanks for the input. I thought this might be the case.

As a workaround, I was thinking of using the "Expiration Date" cell to be the main initiating driver and when there was a date in the cell (ISDATE), it would drive the flag high. Then when that date is reached, automation would be set up to send an approval request. If "approved" is selected, the flag will clear and the "expiration date" would also clear. If Approval column has either "submitted" or "decline" in it, the flag would stay high. I would also hide the "Approval" column and only use the email or Smartsheet request notification area to remove the flag and date. Deleting the date would also remove the flag. The flag column is important not only for visual but also planning to do a COUNTIF to let me know how many flagged items are outstanding for some metrics on a dashboard, and also a filter based on it, etc.

I have been trying to get the formula worked out but I believe I am missing something so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!