Blank Rows

Options

We have a simple ticket tracking sheet. It consists of a couple dozen columns and one form. It don't use any hierarchy, so all rows are at same level. There are several columns that use formulas - some cross sheet vlookups, some date calculations, turnaround time, etc. Nothing too complicated, however, the formulas in these columns consistently fail because blanks rows are added (I've started calling them phantom rows). See example screen shot - using the form I added a test ticket and blank rows exists, so formulas (Group Name, Client Assigned PBR) are not copied down.

The basic workflow is that Claims Examiners use the form to submit tickets related to claims, then Plan Builders work those tickets directly from this sheet. Are the Plan Builders doing something to cause this when they work in the sheet? I've checked history on each cell for some of these phantom rows and there is never any history.

I've considered reversing this so that new rows are added to the top. Not sure if that would solve the problem, so I haven't tried it yet. Any suggestions on how to avoid or eliminate would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The blank rows could be being added, there could be some kind of sorting done, or row data could be getting deleted.

The Activity Log may provide more insight than the cell history.

• Marvin Daniels
    Marvin Daniels ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Paul. I will check the activity log the next time it happens and report my findings. I forget about that feature, but it can be very helpful at times.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help. 👍️

I have gotten so used to checking the Activity Log that I actually forget about cell history at times. Haha.

The other nice thing about the activity log is that it shows formulas as well. If someone accidentally deletes a complicated formula from a cell then you can actually locate the instance in the Activity Log and copy/paste directly from there back into the sheet.

• Jana Brits
    Jana Brits ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We have experienced the same problem. I truly hope that Smartsheet will solve this problem. The problem comes in when you add the new rows to the bottom of the sheet. We don't add any rows, added through a form, to the bottom of the sheet anymore.

What you also can try is the new feature, column formulas. That will also solve your problem. But first, change the form so that new entries are added to the top of the sheet.

Hope this helps.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!