Can I set the default value for a drop down list to be a formula in a form?

Samara McCallum
edited 07/27/20 in Smartsheet Basics

I am creating a SmartSheet whose rows are filled with the submission of the form and I wanted to utilize the hidden feature of the form to autofill a field when the form is submitted. I wanted this field to hold a formula that would select a value from a dropdown menu upon submission of the form but every time I submit the form the formula is added to the cell with an apostrophe in front of, signaling that it is text rather than a formula. When I remove the apostrophe, the formula works exactly the way I want it to. Is there any way to override this? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to have this same effect in another way?

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Samara McCallum

You can’t add the formula to the form. It has to be present in the sheet already to autofill.

The new row will be auto-filled with the formulas if there are two rows below/above with the same formulas.

More details:

If the formula structure is the same above/below the Formula Autofill will add the formula(s) automatically.

Conditions That Trigger Formula Autofill

You’ll see formulas populate automatically when you type in a newly inserted or blank row that is:

• Directly between two others that contain the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • At the topmost of the sheet if it’s above two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • At the bottommost of the sheet if it’s below two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • Above or below a single row that is between blank rows and has formulas.

More info: 

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you for your response @Andrée Starå. Unfortunately, this won't work for my SmartSheet solution due to the fact that this particular column represents the status of a project. Because of this, the status will change quite quickly/frequently, removing the formula from the line (preventing future lines from automatically having this formula). Do you have any other suggestions on how I can handle this situation? Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Samara McCallum

How often is the form submitted? Would it work to manually move it in the sheet or automatically to another sheet.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.