User Administration Invite vs. Shared

I am getting errors when attempting to invite a user to smartsheets. The error "xxxyyyzzz@xmail.com" is currently a licensed user in Smartsheet. To add them to your account, grant them a license"

I do not want to grant them a license of ours if they are already licensed and we have very limited licenses.

We did this with others that do not have smartsheet accounts without issues.

We were informed during training that in order for users to get to the Dashboards and Dynamic Views via the Dashboards they would require to be invited and shared to the dasboard and dynamic views. However, I am getting this error and not sure what to do next, not sure if inviting them to the dashboard will work, as they cannot seem to get access to it...

Any help would be great.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Charles L

If the users already have an account with a different plan and a license with that plan, then that's great! You don't need to add users to your own specific plan in order to share content with them.

Adding users to your plan allows you to have a bit more control over their accounts (such as generating reports that show you the sheets they have access to, or transferring their sheets once they no longer need an account, etc). You can read more about user-types in multi-user plans in our Help Center (see here).

However, for what you're looking to do, there's no need to have them be a part of your plan. You can go ahead and simply share the Dashboard with that email address, even if that contact is not in your plan (see here for info about sharing).

You will need to also share them to the Dynamic View if you want that to be visible in the Dashboard as well (see the section just above this link, here). In both cases, the user doesn't need to be in your plan in order to view the content shared, they just need a Smartsheet account in general, which they already have.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thank you. Confirmed working good.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Wonderful! I'm glad it's working for you 🙂