Approval Flow

Hi There,

I have developed an approval workflow with 5 different approvals in series, that is the second approver will only approves once the first approver has approved, the third approver will only approve once the second approver has approved.

The problem I have now is, how can I make sure if one of the approver hasn't approved for more that 3 days the approval request is sent to the alternative approver in his/her department to approve in their behalf?

Kind regards

Nkosikhona Msani

Answers

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello,

By 5 approvals in series do you mean all in one workflow or 5 different workflow. If it is the first, just create 2 workflows out of the first one with normal trigger while the other sending once the three days hits, then the rest of the workflow should be fine. If each approval workflow is separate, just create the second one I mentioned with the three days. Let me know if you have any further questions or details on this to help come up with a solution.

Michael

• @Michael Heisler, Thank you for your reply.

Yes They are in one workflow, So if I do separate work flow do I need to include the other approvers or only that alternative approver?

Kind Regards

Nkosikhona Msani

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/03/20

@nkosikhona.msani89271

There will be 3 workflows

Original: have the trigger for this be the first person has approved it so take out anything preceding this unless necessary (only have approvals 2 and on here)

Additional Workflow 1: Your first step in the original workflow that you took out have this be it's own workflow (Approval 1)

Additional Workflow 2: Have this be triggered by it being 3 days after the date mentioned but include conditions for same as "additional workflow 1" along with approval is still submitted (or whatever the default is) so it won't send out if it is already approved. (Approval 1)

This is my thought on this there may be other ways but it is how I would approach it.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Michael

• @Michael Heisler, Thank you for your assistance. I will try it out, I understand it very well.

• Hi @Michael Heisler , I have been trying to setup the condition based on the period the Request is not approved but I don't to get it since there is no time step for approvals. is there an easy way I can do this condition to trigger the secondary approvals?

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @nkosikhona.msani89271

So just to check are you saying you don't have a date to base this off of? If so how much later does this approval take place after the initial creation and what other dates do you have available.

Michael

• On my sheet I only have the submission date, but don't have the date of the previous approver is there is someone who have approved from the team that is assigned to approve. It there was a way having a column that can record the date for the first approver I was going to use that date but it seems like smartsheet does not have that capability at the moment to auto-record the date the request has been approved.

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the submission date the same date as when it goes off for initial approval?

Michael

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I looked through this again and think I have a bit better idea of what we can do. it will get a bit complicated though. I can get into it more tomorrow but let me check, will any of the row be modified by anyone other than going through approvals?

Michael

• Thank you Michael for assistance hope to hear from you tomorrow.

• Hello @Michael Heisler,

I hope this finds you well. have you manage to find anything.

Kind Regards

Nkosikhona

• Brian Campbell
    Brian Campbell ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Morning @nkosikhona.msani89271

Ok, so here is my idea ill try to break this down best I can let me know if you have questions.

Add 2 columns, one is the modified field below (leave as is), the other is "Last Change Date" (you can call this what you like but it has to be a date field. )

Have the "Last Change date" be a formula be =Modified@row this will allow us to use the date field in our workflows, please note that whenever something changes in one of these rows it will change this date, as long as the approvals are the only thing that should change this should work. Basically when an approval happens it will change the date so we should be able to use this for the workflow.

So each approval workflow will be set up like this first approval will be triggered however you set it up originally, the alternative approval to take place if not done within 3 days will be set up like below

Then the next approval can be triggered when that approval field is changed to approved. If there are alternate approvers for this as well just follow the same criteria but make sure to include the conditions that the prior approval has been approved and the current approval is submitted.

Michael

• Hi @Michael Heisler this looks good, I will do it and give you feedback.

• Hello @Michael Heisler, is it possible to set-up a hourly reminder?