Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automatically move item to different Smartsheet once completed?

I have a feeling that this solution doesn't exist within the current setup. 

Is it possible to move a row from one Smartsheet to another once the item is shown as completed?

Thank you!

Comments

• Jeremy Myers
    Jeremy Myers ✭✭✭✭✭

Not automatically, I don't believe.

The next best thing would be to use the <move to another sheet> routine which you access by clicking on a row and then right mouse click to open the flyout menu.

Then create a filter that looks for done rows and you are ..done!  Cool.  Cool

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As Jeremy says no can do.

The word Automation and Smardsheet do not go together unless its in the form of calculations/formulae.

Moving data is a Code thing.

If you want to move it to make space as Jeremy says use the command to Move to Other Sheet.

If you just want to get then out of the way, 3 options:

• Use a Hirearcicle Structure and move the Rows into the Completed Hirearchy when done and keep Collapsed.
    • Use reports for one for Open Tasks and one for closed working off a Status Column.
    • Use an external intergration tool like Zakier or Azqua

James

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/28/17

Michelle,

There's a typo in James' response.

The tool you are looking for is Zapier (www.zapier.com)

I use in my own quotes & invoicing process and have set up several customers' sheets to auto-archive when triggered to do so.

You'll need to be on 2nd lowest plan at a minimum because you'll need multi-step Zaps (what they call the automation process)

Other automation tools (and there are lots) seem too expensive in my opinion.

See my post here for more on my opinion:

http://ronin-global.com/2016/05/08/to-automate-or-not-to-automate-that-is-the-question/

Craig

• Hi James, I am having the same question but believe the first option you list will work for me if it is automatic. Is it?

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kahart,

Sorry again, no its a manual process.

There is the option to use two reports:

• Open Tasks
    • Closed Tasks

When you mark a task as complete it appears in the completed tasks Report/  But more importantly it disappears from the open Tasks report.

This is great for edition existing task data, but not for adding new rows of data.

New rows of data have to be entered either directly in the sheet or via a Web form. Once they are in the sheet they will appear in the open tasks Report for updating etc.

In case you are unaware Reports in Smartsheet are not actually Reports, they are stored Filtered Views and contain live subset of data that can be edited.

I hope this helps

This discussion has been closed.