Workflow Attachments to a Non-Shared Recipient

I have a workflow that, when triggered, goes to a recipient not shared to the underlying sheet. Is there a way for that person to be able to see the comments and/or attachments via the email notice without me sharing the sheet with them?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @yoyeeyee

Comments can be sent with an Alert Workflow to a user who isn't shared to a sheet. You'll want to make sure that A Comment is selected from the Advanced Options section in the workflow:

The comments will then appear at the very bottom of the Notification email for the row that was sent. This will be view-only if they're not shared to the sheet, so they won't be able to add any comments themselves.

Attachments can be sent with an Alert, but in order to send an attachment it needs to be the trigger for the workflow, like this:

Cheers!

Genevieve

• yoyeeyee
    yoyeeyee ✭✭✭✭

thank you - yes, I have that set up already; however, when the recipient gets the email notice, it has the attachments, but they can not open them up. Also, for the ones with comments - the comments do not show up on the email notice even though I have it marked in the advanced options. I just figured it was because they were not shared to the underlying sheet. those that are shared to the sheet are able to see them. Maybe it's just a glitch on my end??

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @yoyeeyee

My apologies, with further testing I've confirmed that comments will only show up if they are recent changes from around the same time as the trigger, or if the comment itself is a trigger for the automation.

So, if you're sending an alert when a checkbox is checked, it won't include all the comments on that row from yesterday and previous weeks... but it will include the comment you made at the same time as checking that box. Does that make sense?

The user who's receiving this notification does not need to be shared to the sheet to see the comment, it just has to happen at the right time. Could this be the cause of certain users seeing comments? Or is it the exact same alert sending to two people at the same time and yet they're seeing different results?

• yoyeeyee
    yoyeeyee ✭✭✭✭

There was an error rendering this rich post.